Why is Ceiling Leakage a major concern and what should be done?
Ceiling leakage will always be a problem as it involves multiple complications. Be it a small apartment, a building, or a condo; ceiling leakage will always be a problem as it involves multiple complications. Be it a small apartment, a building, or a condo; leakage problem needs attention leakage problem needs attention, work, and co-operation from all concerned parties. It becomes harder when the source of leakage comes from upstairs; these are the problems that you aren’t able to fix by yourself. Leakage causes molds, raises pungent odor and leads to damages that are very unpleasing to the eye. It also leads to core structural damage that is extremely hazardous.
Sources of leakage in
- Upstairs apartment main source of leakage in most cases arises due to plumbing issues (faulty plumbing) or leakage from upstairs neighbors
- Other problems include leaky refrigerator lines,
- Improper water-proofing
- Overflowing of bath taps, sink water clogging or leaking washers.
- Faulty construction can also be one of the factors
- In Buildings
- In building, it can happen due to some structural problems
- Frozen or damaged pipes
- Leakage in the air conditioner,
- Breaking of fire sprinklers and
- Other general plumbing issues.
What steps can you take?
The very first step that is supposed to be done whenever a leakage takes place is to inform the property owner and if it is ceiling leakage it is very important to inform the upstairs neighbors to make sure that the problem is a recognized. The next important step is to move away from any furniture or electrical appliances (bulb, wires, or lamps) from the vicinity of the leakage to avoid any direct or indirect damages. If your furniture has any important photos or documents make sure you move them away. Some damages can be contained easily while some will require work and attention.
Know your rights
Even if the leakage is minor, do not to fix it yourself, consult with your landlord first. Identifying the source should be the first task, damages caused by ceiling leakage will always be a problem as it involves multiple complications. Be it a small apartment, a building, or a condo; leakage problem needs attention leakage are covered mostly by your lease agreement, thus make sure that you are aware of your rights as a tenant. Before you execute the work, ensure to have pictures, reliable proofs, and the necessary documents. It is extremely important to notify your renter’s insurance carrier. Contact your insurance company to file for coverage or reimbursement for damages. The property manager is required to maintain individual units and is responsible for keeping the building’s water system in good working condition.
DO’S and DONT’S
- Inform your landlord/ property owner about the problem.
- If the source of the leakage is from you upstairs neighbors, communicate the problem to them, be wise, and polite in your approach.
- Know your rights and responsibilities as a tenant and act accordingly, start by finding specific details in your lease agreement.
- Inform your renter’s insurance company and keep the necessary documents and proofs ready.
- If either party (neighbors or landlord) seems uncooperative don’t be confrontational.
- Don’t forget you have rights and responsibilities as a tenant help up by the state.
- Don’t forget to inform other tenants if you encounter a structural problem.
- Don’t start any work without getting pre-approval from your landlord for hiring an emergency service provider and be ready to pay them upfront initially.
What is covered under Renter’s Insurance?
Neighbor’s being the source of leakage doesn’t affect the coverage; you are liable to claim for all the damages to be repaired nonetheless. Your belongings and furnishings are covered by insurance, have a conversation with your agent to get all the details about the coverage policy in detail.
Have a proper discussion with your agent about all the benefits, as these kinds of damages need time (sometimes months) to be repaired, renters insurance does pay for your ‘temporary living’ until work is completed.
The regular renter’s insurance doesn’t cover the damages caused by natural rain. Besides, a ‘food insurance policy’ is required to pay for leaks and damages by natural flooding.
Some important things you should know:
Leakage leads to direct, indirect, short term, and long term damages. It can damage furniture, electronics, clothes, and worst of all, any painting or decoration work is damaged by the molds; it can affect small babies and anyone with health problems. Other belongings like photos and important documents are at risk.
‘Restoration companies don’t provide services to rental properties until directly contacted by the legal property owner, only the property owner has the authority to remove or replace structural materials affected by the leakage’ this is an important point which must be duly noted.
It is better and acceptable to have the written consent of the Landlord which can be submitted to the restoration company to start the work. Keep a hard copy of the lease to avoid unnecessary delays in the Restoration Company’s verification process.
After the leakage problem is solved there are certain steps you need to take to ensure that the leakage problem doesn’t come back.
Most importantly, if there are any structural problems; pipes, ceilings, waterproofing, etc. make sure that it is done as and when recommended by your service provider.
Keep an eye for any post-work leakage problems, if any contact your service provider at the earliest. Safely store your bills, claim, and insurance documents for future needs.
Be in touch with your neighbors; make sure that you are informed about any work done in their bathroom or kitchen which has been mutually agreed by your landlord and neighbors.
Why Service Master?
Hiring a professional will be the best solution to this problem. We offer a lot of services like pre-post work cleaning, filing for insurance, consultation, and suggest further steps than can prevent such a problem in the future. We make sure that all work is done in a hassle-free way and you have nothing to worry about. So don’t hesitate, contact our team TODAY. We are here to help!!