Water damage hits at your house’s core strength, consequently causing severe structural damage. Damp wood results in carpenter ants and termites and, along with this, it causes mildew and mold.
Always remember that water damage is not always caused due to dramatic events such as floods and hurricanes. Houses usually are ruined through pinhole-sized pipe leaks, blocked gutters, the sump pump that won’t turn on or the poorly graded soil.
Safeguard your residential/commercial property against the problem of water damage through the best insurance coverage as well as these useful tips –
- Clean Downspouts and Gutters – Make sure to clean the gutters at least twice a year for avoiding ice dams and blockage.
- Inspect water leaks and fix them – Check for the dark spots under pipes, under the sink cabinets, toilets that rock, stains on the ceilings, and drips.
- Monitor the water pressure for any leaks – A more credible tactic is to buy an electronic water leak detection system which directly installs on the main water supply line to the house. The sensors monitor water pressure, temperature, and flow.
- While on the vacation, make it a point that you shut off the water supply to your washing machine as well as never leave the home while the dishwasher or washer is running.
- Install the gutter guards – Gutter guards are attachments utilized for preventing clogging of roof gutters so that water from the roof can easily flow away from the house.
- Examine showers, water heaters, toilets, showers, sinks, dishwashers, and tubs annually, as well as have them repaired in case there are signs of corrosion or leaks.
- Maintain vegetation and trees – It is imperative for minimizing landscaping near the utility pipes or, if needed, removing shrubs and trees which have grown too big.
- Switch to PEX pipes from copper pipes – Changing out the copper pipes for the plastic corrosion-free PEX pipes makes sure that no pinhole leaks will destroy your home.
- Inspect the roof for damaged, aging, and missing shingles as well as make the necessary repairs.
- Change the soil grade – Add soil around the foundation for creating the downward slope away from your house of at least 6 inches covering the 10-foot span.
In case your fridge has a water dispenser or an ice machine, the hose between your refrigerator and the wall must be made of the braided copper as it has greater corrosion and cracking resistance.
Monitor the Water Bill
At times, the single way to know that water is leaking is by taking a closer look at the water bill. In case the usage relevantly jumps from one month to another without any solid reason, put your hat of “water detective” on. Is there any leak in the crawlspace? Or, is it the pipe in the front yard? Ensure the fact that no mystery leaks stay unattended.
Needless to say, water damage comes under the category of the most expensive and common disaster a building can experience that might cost you billions of dollars annually. Follow the above-mentioned tips for preventing water damage and adding years as well as lower maintenance charges to your residential/commercial buildings.