How to prevent fire damage in your home?
Your house is the place where you build your life and make memories.
This is the major reason why it is hard to even imagine your house ever suffering from a disaster like a fire.
Losing the house to fire is, needless to say, a scary thought, however, there are many things to be done for preventing fire before it begins as well as keeping the family and house safe.
Most of the people know about the basics of preventing fire damage at home, like installing smoke alarms, not leaving the cooking unattended or beware of the burning candles, as well as keeping the fire extinguisher.
Below-mentioned are some major tips on how to prevent fire damage in your house –
- Inspect all the heating sources – Ensure the fact that air filters are thoroughly cleaned out, and in case you are using a space heater, it should be positioned away from anything flammable.
- Test the smoke detectors – Appropriately maintain the smoke alarms through testing batteries once a month.
- Remove the lint from a dryer filter after every use – The clogged filters as well as lint traps make the dryer less productive, reduce the needed airflow for keeping heat from building up in the vents, as well as force the lint onto heating coils.
- Never leave the food unattended while you are cooking as it is one of the topmost causes of the home fires. Burning the food can be the major reason behind smoke damage as well. In case you are not in the kitchen, make sure to turn off the elements as well as be aware while cooking with oils or grease.
Fireproof the house
It is essential to do everything in your power for reducing the risk of having a fire in the home. It involves checking everything from bedrooms, garage, kitchen, living room, chimney and roof.
- In case you smoke in the garage, ensure the fact that no flammable material is present nearby.
- Do not smoke in the home at all.
- In case you are smoking outside, make it a point that there is no flammable debris that might catch fire from the spark.
Keep the oven and stove clean
Not only food particles are the reason behind a house fire. A pot that is not set right on the burner correctly can cause melting of the pot handle if exposed to the stove flames or, if you leave the cookbook or dishtowel near the hot burner that can also catch fire.
Maintain the electrical cords
Check the electrical cord’s condition regularly and watch out for the frayed wires.
In case you have the chimney, make sure to get it cleaned frequently. When the chimney is not cleaned, it can start accumulating creosote which is highly flammable as well as can become the reason behind a chimney fire.
Also during winters, you must make it a point that the heating appliances are not located near anything combustible.